Thursday 11 January 2018

War of the Pacific (1)

One of the elements of the 2018 "Plan" is to cover off the naval side of the War of the Pacific, fought between Chile, Peru and Bolivia from 1879 into the early 1880s. I'm doing this in 1/1200 (ish) using Houstons /Stone Mountain models. I bought the Huascar, Blanco Encalada, Cochrane, Manco Capac and Atahualpa from Campaign Headquarters in Norfolk whilst I was in the US for the 1997 NWS holiday, but it was only last year that I picked up another load of models from the ACW range to convert into the various Chilean and Peruvian wooden ships. I've also added a couple of large British steam frigates (the Stone Mountain models come in packs and I needed the smaller ships bundled with the large US frigates), and the Peruvian fleet has a few additional ironclads in the form of the Independencia (converted from a Davco 1/1200 ironclad), the Loa (converted from a Navwar Charleston), and the monitor Victoria, converted from a Navwar Monitor.

The model aren't strictly accurate but I'm pleased with the way they've turned out. Now to work up ship cards for them for "Iron and Fire", and to get the campaign system sorted out!









5 comments:

  1. Very spiff. The old Lyzard's Grin models have a lot of charm. We had our ACW fleets in 1/1200 before we switched to 1/600. Good luck with the project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff - not quite my period but interesting nonetheless. Looking forward to some AAR's on these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I scratchbuilt all of the ships for the Pacific War in 1/1200th back in the 1980s, but I can't find them now. I must have ditched them as part of my pre-migration clearout. Regretting it now :(

    ReplyDelete