Sunday 13 August 2017

Mad Wet Max Wins Thornbury IPMS Best Parti Game, 2017

Today was the 5th IPMS modelling show at Thornbury that has included wargaming, and I'm back with the "Best Participation Game" award for the 5th year in a row! This year's game was "Mad Wet Max", my combative post apocalyptic variant of Dave Schueler's popular "Thunderboats" powerboat racing game. The game has been under development since Christmas and today saw all the elements together for the first time in public. 



So, we had the parascender take to the air for  the first time (although he didn't last long as his boat took an engine hit which caused the boat to lose speed and caused him to be dumped him in the sea - where the following boat promptly ran him over! And for the first time the "spectators" made their presence felt, shooting up boats that came a bit too close (they killed two boats out of the eight racers in game #3!)



Everyone that played it seeemd to have a good time, and I had a succession of visitors telling me they liked the game and especially the models. I guess they must have been right as the game won :)


I'm probably not going to run one of my own games next year - I guess it will be a "Wings of Glory" day instead - August 5th is the provisional date for anyone who is interested in coming along.

6 comments:

  1. Congrats- looks like a fun game.

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Stuff David. Glad the attendees know classy stuff when they see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the award! It sounds like it was a fun time. You'll have to share your modifications with us sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. any more pictures or detail?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! A well-deserved win, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete