1) River Plate at the Naval Wargames Show
Success, at least in terms of preparation. All the models were completed, two sets of rules sorted out, long tape measures sourced, large flags to stick in the lawn of the museum made. Alas the weather didn’t help, with rain coming just as we had set up so the game was scrubbed. But at least the preps were completed and we got some photos of the game to show what it would have looked like. I may try to run this again in 2017.
I got a bit of his done. Some models spruced up and a batch of new ones purchased when Stuart Barnes Watson sold off his collection. I also got my North and South Korean models finished off (inspired by my visit to Pyeongtaek in the Spring). Ore work needed here in 2017 though.
3) Form Line of Battle
Almost total failure, with none of the projected models sorted out. I did however manage to refight the 1811 battle of Lissa on the island of Lissa (now Vis) during the summer.
A big push here at the beginning of the year. I painted up my Chinese fleet and then sorted out US, German and Italian squadrons as well as sprucing up my French and British. The rules are working OK and I’ve sorted out a WW1 version as well which seems to give sensible results and plays very quickly. Not much progress on the campaign rule front, although what I have for the RJW seems to work well as is. Another area for progress next year.
5) Burma Skirmish
No, I didn’t sort it out at all. However, I did work on an alternative….
6) Iron and Fire
My remaining 1/600 ships were duly painted and completed, and a clutch of new models bought in. other than that, not much progress and the formalising of the ship data for the Crimean War didn’t happen either. However, this period may be developing in another direction in 2017.